In addition to getting your children vaccinated, encourage them to make these steps part of their everyday routine in order to prevent the spread of germs:
• Wash hands often with soap and water, especially after using the bathroom and prior to eating. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs are spread this way.
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
• Teach children to cough or sneeze into the crook of their arm or elbow instead of into their hands. This prevents the spread of germs when they touch something.
• Stay away from people who are sick.